Continuing Education (Partial List)
During more than thirty (30) years of practice, Jack has attended, participated in, organized and taught continuing education courses too numerous to list at the local, state and national level. Courses he has organized and taught have included environmental, negotiation, employment law, insurance coverage and insurance “bad faith,” as well as dispute resolution topics.
He was also the Chairman and principal organizer of the two-day Silicon Valley conference, “THE CONFLICT MANAGEMENT CULTURE and the TECHNOLOGY-DRIVEN COMPANY: IMPROVING THE BOTTOM LINE THROUGH STRATEGIC DISPUTE RESOLUTION,” co-sponsored by the American Electronics Association, and the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law. The program featured members of the Federal judiciary, general counsel from a number of well-known companies, academics and others, in a series of presentations focused on corporate decision-makers responsible for advising technology companies about resolving disputes both inside and outside the company.
MANAGING PARTNER 1996 - Present
Litigation Solutions Law Group Redwood City, California
Founding and managing partner. A private law firm emphasizing both the civil litigation and business needs of Fortune 500, and emerging growth and start-up companies of the Silicon Valley, with a particular emphasis on technology firms operating in this intensely competitive and entrepreneurial environment. The firm was one of the first to explicitly base its practice on a “risk-based” approach to civil litigation on behalf of its clients.
Major representative clients: Avaya Inc.; Intel Corporation; Lucent Technologies, and its affiliated companies; the Philips Electronics North America Corporation, and its affiliated companies; Tyco International (US) Inc., and its affiliated companies.
PRESIDENT and CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER 1981 - 1996
Williams, Romanski, Redwood City, California
Polverari & Skelton, Prof. Corp.
Founding member and director, as well as president and chief executive officer. Instrumental in building this private law firm from a four lawyer firm to more than fifty lawyers in five offices, specializing in a mix of transactional and predominantly a wide range of civil litigation, including representation of plaintiffs, insurers and their policyholders, and businesses ranging from well-known Fortune 500 companies to midsize regional and small local concerns.
MEMBER & SHAREHOLDER 1976 - 1981
Hession, Creedon, Hamlin, Kelly, San Mateo, California
Hanson & Farbstein, Prof. Corp.
Director. A privately held general practice civil law firm, with a mix of both transactional and civil litigation; at one time the oldest and largest law firm in San Mateo County.
CHAIRMAN of the BOARD (2002 - 2007) and DIRECTOR 1984 - 2009
CTT, Inc. (Communications Transmission Technology) Santa Clara, CA
Founding director of this highly successful microwave amplifier and subsystems design, engineering and manufacturing company. CTT provides a variety of products for military and aerospace customers, as well as an expanding line of products for commercial communications applications, including a line of optoelectronics modulator/amplifiers. See http://www.cttinc.com for additional information.
As a director, guided company through its original formation as a spin-off of another, larger Silicon Valley based company. Responsibilities and accomplishments have also included major management changes and ownership restructuring, as well as implementation of plans to meet the challenges of domestic military budget cuts in the early 1990s, through establishment of a commercial communications and optical electronics component of the company’s business. From its inception, when there were literally hundreds of such manufacturers in the marketplace, CTT has grown to become one of the top three companies of its kind in the U.S. — with international sales in Europe, Israel, and the Pacific Rim — while the vast number of competitors have fallen by the wayside. Member of the Executive, Strategic Planning, and Compensation Committees. Elected Chairman in 2002; became Chairman Emeritus after serving a five-year term.
CORPORATE DIRECTOR 1984 - 1989
California Eastern Laboratories, Inc. Santa Clara, California
Founded in 1959, California Eastern Laboratories is the NEC Corporation's North American sales and marketing partner for RF, wireless, optoelectronic, laser and fiber optic semiconductor products. NEC is one of the largest semiconductor manufacturers in the world and CEL ships over 100 million of their devices to its customers each year. The company is one of the largest employee-owned companies in Silicon Valley, and among the 100 largest private companies in California, with more than $120 million in annual sales. See http://www.cel.com for additional information. As a director, involved in the significant expansion of the company’s business, as well as a managementled leveraged buy-out of the founder. Member of the Executive and Compensation Committees.
CORPORATE DIRECTOR 1984 - 1985
Microwave Systems Engineering, Inc. Phoenix, Arizona
A start-up microwave systems manufacturer, emphasizing equipment for the commercial TVRO market. Member of the Audit and Compensation Committees.
Some Notable Professional Accomplishments (Partial List)
Jack has been responsible for literally thousands of litigated cases throughout his career, as trial counsel, supervising and managing attorney, as well as Regional Counsel for a number of well-known Fortune 500 companies. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants. Few lawyers in private practice today have been responsible for as many cases of such variety. His personal resume includes:
- Wide-ranging personal injury experience, both plaintiff and defense, including numerous wrongful death and catastrophic injury actions, as well as countless cases involving many other types of personal injuries
- Lead counsel for well-known multinational in connection with complex wrongful death claim occurring in Middle Eastern country
- Products liability counsel to Fortune 500 company in connection with worldwide product recall of well-known consumer product, engaged in analyzing and planning for corporate response to numerous issues, including products liability, business interruption, and Directors’ and Officers’ liability aspects of any claims and lawsuits
- Brown, et al. v. Philips Semiconductors Inc., Philips North America Corp., Philips Electronics N.V. - Lead Counsel for Philips
- Intel Corporation v. Hartford Accident & Indemnity Company
– Lead Counsel for Intel Corporation
- Atari Corporation v. Philips Electronics Corporation
– Lead Counsel for Philips
- Lick Mill Creek Apartments, et al. v. Intel Corporation, et al.
– Lead Counsel for Intel Corporation
- Kim Camp No. III v. Micro Storage Corporation, et al.; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Intel Corporation, et al.
– Lead Counsel for Intel Corporation
- Western Regional Counsel – AT&T Corporation, AT&T Broadband and AT&T Wireless. Responsible as outside counsel for managing, supervising and trying cases as part of a unique and extensive company-wide program in both the federal and state courts of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Included managing outside counsel in other law firms, as well as own firm, reporting to company management and business units as needed,
and exercising trial and settlement decision-making authority previously held by company inhouse senior counsel. Responsible for evaluating and authorizing settlement up to “blanket” corporate schedule of authorization delegated to Regional Counsel.
- Western Regional Counsel – Lucent Technologies Responsible as outside counsel for managing, supervising and trying cases as part of a unique and extensive company-wide program in both the federal and state courts of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Included managing outside counsel in other law firms, as well as own firm, reporting to company management and business units as needed, and exercising trial and settlement decision-making authority previously held by company inhouse senior counsel. Responsible for evaluating and authorizing settlement up to “blanket” corporate schedule of authorization delegated to Regional Counsel. Also responsible for specification and development of Lucent web-based litigation management system.
- Western Regional Counsel – Avaya Inc. - Similar to Lucent.
- Western Regional Counsel – Tyco International (US) Inc., and Affiliated Companies – Similar to Lucent.
- Major business litigation experience on behalf of business units of well-known multi-nationals – Lead Counsel
- Successfully defended and tried $4,100,000.00 claim, arising from the alleged loss of royalties and ancillary rights for the publication of a technical book, against well-known manufacturer of semiconductor products, resulting in zero recovery – Lead Counsel
- Successfully defended and settled multi-million dollar, cross-border breach of contract and interference with contract and prospective advantage claim by electronics components supplier against major manufacturer of consumer electronics products – Lead Counsel
- Successfully defended and settled $40,000,000.00 plus breach of contract and interference with prospective advantage claim between well-known manufacturers of consumer electronics products, recovering from the plaintiff on the cross-complaint – Lead Counsel
- Represented multi-national corporation in $60,000,000.00 plus property damage and business interruption claim involving semiconductor fabrication facility – Lead Counsel
- Extensive environmental litigation experience, including matters involving listed as well as proposed Superfund sites, as lead counsel for Fortune 500 companies
- Successfully defended and settled toxic exposure case involving 800 plus unit residential development – Lead Counsel
- Successfully defended and settled agricultural chemical toxic exposure case involving alleged damaged crops and contaminated farmland – Lead Counsel
- Successfully defended and settled groundwater contamination case involving substantial delay damages due to alleged delay in redeveloping city downtown area – Lead Counsel
- Analysis and drafting of proposed Federal environmental legislation for members of the semiconductor industry, including amendments to CERCLA
- Lead counsel in numerous types of employment matters, including AIDS discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act, executive employment and termination, sexual discrimination and harassment, racial discrimination, workforce wage and hour violations, workplace threats and violence, and wrongful termination
- Year 2000 counsel to well-known Fortune 500 companies, engaged in analyzing and planning for corporate response to numerous Y2K issues, including products liability, business interruption, and Directors’ and Officers’ liability aspects of any claims and lawsuits
- Extensive insurance coverage and “bad faith” litigation experience – Lead Counsel
- Successfully litigated and settled $20,000,000.00 plus insurance coverage case for policyholder – Lead Counsel
- Lead counsel for prime contractor in major defect claim involving sensitive government facility
- Lead counsel in construction and seismic engineering defect case involving major Silicon Valley public building
- Software “piracy” and other IP litigation for emerging technology companies
- General legal counsel and advice on numerous environmental, employment, insurance and other litigation-related issues
Substantial experience with these and other issues:
- Business Torts
- Catastrophic Injury
- Commercial Disputes
- Construction Claims
- Directors & Officers Liability
- E-Commerce Issues
- Environmental and Toxic Exposure
- Executive Employment Agreements
- Fiduciary Liability
- Governmental Tort Claims
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Intellectual Property
- Labor & Employment
- Mass Casualty Claims
- Products Liability
- Property & Casualty Torts
- Real Estate
- Technology Licensing & Agreements
Brief Mediation Resume_012110.pdf (PDF 42K)
Comprehensive Professional Resume_092810.pdf (PDF 128K)